Top 5 Oklahoma Sooner Athletes
Here at Landers Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram of Norman, we are HUGE fans of OU Athletics! We have supported our OU sports teams from the beginning — well at least from our beginning. We believe it’s super important to support and be involved in our local community as many ways as we can. One of our favorite ways to do this is by cheering on our OU Sooner Athletic teams. The OU Sooners Athletics department has had amazing athletes walk through those doors and onto the field, so we figured we would share our list of our Top 5 favorite athletes in Sooners history. Keep on reading, you might be surprised who’s on this list!
Top 5 Sooner Athletes:
- Lee Roy Selmon – Lee Roy was one of three brothers who played for the University of Oklahoma as a defensive tackle. He was an All-American in 1974 and 1975, and also a part of the National Championship teams those years. He was later inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1988.
- Billy Sims – Billy Sims played for the University of Oklahoma from 1975 to 1979. A two time All-American, he won the Heisman Trophy in 1978.
- Steve Owens – Owens played for OU from 1967 to 1969. As a senior, he was recognized as a first team All-American and became the second OU Sooner to win the Heisman Trophy. He was the Sooners’ all time scorer with 57 touchdowns, and he still holds the third highest Sooners’ rushing record with a total of 4,041 yards.
- Roy Williams – Roy played for OU from 1999 to 2001, including as a starter on the unstoppable 2000 Oklahoma Sooners team. In 2001, he won the Bronko Nagurski Trophy as one of the nation’s top defensive players. He later on went to play for the Dallas Cowboys.
- Sam Bradford – Sam was a player from 2006 to 2009 at OU. In 2007, he had one of the best seasons for a quarterback, passing for 4,720 yards with 50 touchdowns and eight interceptions. This resulted in him winning the Heisman Trophy, making him the fifth Oklahoma player to win this prestigious award.
This just skims the surface of the amazing players that have graced the field at OU. We have had and always will have amazing athletes playing on our teams and we can’t what to see history is being made with this upcoming football season! Who’s ready to watch history be made?!